If a picture is worth a 1,000 words, a moving picture is priceless. Just this month Facebook has allowed users to create a short video as their profile picture. I don’t know if it is because our attention spans have diminished to that of a gold fish or if videos really do capture the attention; whichever the case – your self published book needs a book trailer!
Here are just a few startling facts about the power of YouTube:
- 1 billion users watch YouTube videos
- There are 4 billion video views every day
- Total number of hours of video watch each month – 6 billion
Here is the really fun stat – only 9% of small business owners are using video to market their business. What does that mean for you? As an author, you fall into the category of small business owner – so why not get ahead of your competitors and create a video for the largest populated website in the world?
One of the services Halo Publishing offers is the creation and publication of your book trailer video. Here are just a couple so you can get a feel for what they look like.
Shadow in the Midst by A.J. Tupps
Sir Buddy and Mr. Puppies by Richard McEwan
Hope and Oxygen Katie Kelley Detmer
What are the components of a successful book trailer video?
If you are going to spend the time and money to create a video to help promote your book, you’ll want to make sure to follow a few simple rules:
- Keep it short. A minute is plenty of time to effectively provide a few teasers ideas about your book. Be careful not to tell too much!
- You don’t have to star in the video or hire an actor. Using images (pictures you have the copyright to use) and a voice over along with a little music is an effective way to promote your book.
- Be entertaining. I know, that is like pointing at a comedian and say “Hey – be funny.” However, the fact is that funny or entertaining videos are the ones that people enjoying watching repeatedly and also share with their friends. It is all about spreading the word.
Once you have created your video and uploaded it to YouTube, you’ll want to spread the word. Just like with all of your book promotional tactics, you need to make sure people know you have a video and where they can find it.
- Email your followers
- Post it on all of your social media sites
- Include the link in your email signature
- Put a link on your business card
You can also create what is called a QR tag. A QR code or tag is a block of black squares and bars similar to a barcode on product packaging. When someone uses the Tag reader app on their mobile device (I use QR Reader), the code placed in the tag will automatically take them to your website, blog or video.
There are a number of website you can visit to create a free QR tag. I went to QR Stuff.
Use your Tag reader app to follow this QR tag to one of my how to videos. This one is entitled Self Publishing – How do I publish a book?
No matter how you spread the word, a book trailer video is a great way to market your book. You can create a teaser video prior to the book’s release date to create buzz and build your advance sales. You can also create a video that offers an overview of the book. Actually, there are a number of video messages you can create to help build awareness of your book. Interested in learning more? Give us a call! 877-705-9647